Friday 17 April 2015

outbreak 2: the virus takes Manhattan

Obviously this isn't a post about that film but it is a post about an outbreak. There has been an outbreak of norovirus on our ward and it has been a ruddy nightmare.

I had two weeks off of placement for the Easter break and the first day I got back my mentor said to me 'Oh by the way there is an outbreak of norovirus so we the ward is closed, normally you would know beforehand and you can choose whether or not to work it but..' Oh great, cheers, welcome back, me. Now obviously if I was there as an actual nurse, playing a vital role within the team and getting paid I wouldn't even consider not coming in BUT being just a student, who wouldn't be missed and who does paid work with vulnerable people outside of placement, I wouldn't of minded being informed if I'm honest.

But anyway I've been on the ward for 3 days now and haven't caught it so I think I'm in the clear! But it's been pretty crazy with it all going on. Lots of poorly people feeling even more poorly with terribleness shooting out both ends (trust me, I am giving you the polite version) and chaos rearranging the ward to accommodate. This week I worked an early(8hrs), a long day (12hrs) and an early and half (about 9.5hrs). I worked the shifts consecutively and I must admit that I found it extremely tiring. On Tuesday after my early I was full of the joys of springs and even came out and did gardening and housework before an early night, Wednesday after my long day I was pretty knackered but still upbeat and human but today I came home hungry as heck, getting in at half 5 and having not eaten since 11am (which is a bigger deal for me than most), I wolfed down my dinner and since then I have just felt like a zombie! As I write this now it is 8pm and I have come to bed and to be honest, I am just waiting until a credible enough hour to go to sleep.

I know it will get easier when shifts don't stress me out as much, when I know what I am doing and when working on the wards is my one and only focus but even so I admire even more how hard nurses and HCA's work and how much crap they have to put up with and it kind of makes me feel prouder to know that is what I am going to be.

Other things I am struggling with this week:

Fuck me my hands are dry
I have always had hands that look like they've done a hard days work but my word I swear they have aged 20 years since starting on wards, lord only knows what they'll look after 50 years of nursing.

I am thirsty all the time 
I am someone who normally carries a bottle of water around with them, literally everywhere. But on wards I cannot do this, I can't even have it sitting anywhere within easy reach and I am finding it very tough. I keep sneaking off the the kitchen to do a quick cup full of water, but I think if I do this too much they'll think of skiving and it is a genuine concern for the future.

There was also a lot of nice stuff that happened this week and I shall tell you all about it in my next blog!

Peace X 

No comments:

Post a Comment