Sunday 26 April 2015

Nice Things

Nice things!

Okay so this week was tough but, also, SO much great stuff happened that made me mega joyful. Firstly I did so many new things that I’ve never done before in such a short space of time like injections, removing cannulas, administering lots of different types of medication, doing obs etc etc. I was slow and shit at most of these things but it is my first time on a hospital ward and I have 3 years to practice. To me what’s important is that I wasn’t scared, nothing put me off and I enjoyed every second of it.

I also made some lovely bonds with patients, cheesy as it is they absolutely make the job all worthwhile. Firstly a lovely gentlemen who I looked after on my first day, just before I had two weeks off for Easter, remembered me! This would be a big deal anyway but the man had pretty severe dementia and had little awareness of where he was most of the time. Today when I went over to him with my mentor, my mentor said to him ‘I'm going to let me student, Holly give you this, is that okay?’ He said ‘ow yes of course, she’s a lovely girl, I know Holly, I think I spoke to her on her first day’.  I must of looked a right pratt because I couldn't hide the massive grin on my face and my enthusiasm when I told him that he was right!

Secondly a lady I spent a lot of time with today was really sweet and grateful to me and kept telling me I’d make a brilliant nurse and telling everyone that would listen that I was her lovely nurse and how well I’d looked after her… and before you ask she was entirely mentally capable!

All the women I worked with today were terrible sweet and I was able to spend a fair bit of time really building trusting relationships which felt so lovely and I know that isn’t something that will change because I was talking to them while I carried out other tasks and I have seen how well other nurses on the ward get along with patients.

I have also seen a lot of great practice this week. You hear so many horror stories about carelessness and mistakes and rudeness that you are hardly shocked when you see it (and you do see it) but what people miss out is that there are still some nurses out there who are, excuse my language, fucking incredible at their jobs, like unbelievably good. Kind and caring, funny and interesting, engaging, thoughtful, wicked intelligent and just absolute masters and it is genuinely inspirational to see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment