Monday 30 March 2015

Year 1, placement 2

Placement 2 has begun!!

I am on a hospital ward (yay!). My previous placement on an outpatient department had it's benefits, don't get me wrong, but I feel like there is so much more to learn on wards and was really jealous of everyone who got thrown in at the deep end if I'm honest.

My first shift was a 12 hour long day. I have a lot of these schedule for the next two months as they are a norm and necessity, even for a student. 12 hours is a bloody long time to be working, pretty much non stop and on your feet and it was especially intense for a first day in a new place for a student but I made it through without quitting or fainting or crying and I think that's an achievement.

I wish I could be a little more positive but it was dreadful. I didn't know what I was doing, I felt completely useless, I was knackered, my feet hurt and every second dragged. Luckily my second day was a lot better. I did an 8 hour shift and it flew by! It was extremely hectic and, at times, challenging but I enjoyed it. Hard as it was I enjoyed it, I got to talk to the patients, familiarise myself with the ward, perform a few procedures, talk with my mentor and it seemed so different than the lost zombie trotting blur that had been my first day.

I now have 2 weeks off for Easter before I go back to 24 hours a week on placement plus a few extra lessons in uni and even have a night shift booked in! Tough times ahead with more exams and coursework looming to but I am looking forward to the challenges this new term brings :)

No comments:

Post a Comment