Thursday 5 March 2015

First lot of exams and placement, done!

Sorry I haven't posted in a while.

I actually tried to write a post a good few times but just couldn't get into the rhythm of it. I also discovered that I am not allowed to talk about placement learning in any way that could suggests people or place (in terms of staff and department obviously I would never have divulged patient information), so with that, my original plan of summarising my view on my first placement kind of went down like a phantom poop.

But anyway I did my whole first placement, it's over now! I wish I could say more but I can't. I thought I would feel a lot better going on to my second placement and that having the first one under my belt would help me feel more confident. However, I can say as much as it was not on a hospital ward, and that means that when I do start my next placement, in that environment I am going to be completely lost and unprepared and I will no longer have the safety blanket of first placement.

Anyway essays and exams are also out of the way for a couple of months.. though I am already panicking about the next lot.
The exam and the essays were polar opposites in how difficult/challenging they were. The exam was ludicrously easy, I got 100% and suspect that everyone on my course did too, it boiled down to basic maths and logic and was in a very casual environment, I even arrived early and the man running the exam said I could go in and start as long as I didn't mind people walking in while I was working, and I didn't so I did. I had finished the exam before it was even scheduled to begin!
The essays on the other hard I found really difficult. In all honesty after submitting them I did say that they absolutely were not my best work, I know I could of put more effort in so I couldn't really expect a good mark. However I think even if I had worked that bit harder I still would of found them challenging. I feel really constricted by the way essays for degree must be written, with a reference supporting every other sentence, and a justification to why your reference is relevant. I completely get it and understand the importance of it, I've just always been more of the creative than academic type and want to kind of flow with artistic and articulated ideas but have to hold that back and just try and be intelligent and well read... and I fear that I am neither. However I passed and that is really all that matters first year and it has gotten me back into understand higher education and I hope to be better prepared for the next essay!

Onward and upward :)

No comments:

Post a Comment