Monday 20 October 2014

Rant about students not listening in class!

Well it's time to get down to business. Last week was our first week of actual lectures and training rather than all the bullshit induction we'd had the previous 2 weeks.

So far most lectures have been really interesting. I am finding it tough to keep my brain engaged all day though, I must say. It is obviously a skill I will have to retrain my brain into. Our lectures last 2 solid hours at  time on one subject which long considering they were 50 minutes when I did my music degree. I also get very restless and achy, just physically during this time so going to have to make sure I do lots of exercise and stretchy to keep myself in good physical health.

Something else I CANNOT deal with is people talking during lectures. I have encountered a lot of it this week and it's driving me potty! I am honestly a fairly tolerant person and I can deal with the odd 'what did she say?' or 'dam she's going too fast what was the end of that last quote?' etc. But people just blatantly chatting about their weekends and how bored they are or giggling at minor mistakes, taking the piss out of other students when they put their hand up and speak - that shit is NOT COOL. Firstly, grow the fuck up! You chose to come hear and you are supposed to be interested in the course content, if you aren't, Go. Home. Why disrupt the lecture when it's full of adults trying to learn and engage, you could be in a pub pissing about if that's all you manage to do in life, it is your choice, no one is forcing you to be here! Secondly, don't be rude to fellow students, it's a really tough course and a hard job when we are qualified, we should all be helping each other, let's leave the school yard bitching at school gate. Also it is just plain disrespectful to the lecturers. When we were at school, I know it felt like teachers weren't people but surely as full grow adults we know they are just humans too, doing a job, talking about something they are passionate about and care about and have years of valid experience in. They are offering a wealth of knowledge and really want to help us and yet you disrespect them by talking over them or laughing, they are actual people, it does put them off, it probably does hurt them a little if people aren't paying attention and mostly it no doubt pisses them off and makes them question why they are here and bothering which effects negatively on their teaching which then effects ME! Someone who has huge respect for these individuals and wants to absorb everything they have to offer.

I knew when starting this course that possibly the younger, classic 'students' were going to annoy me but I didn't consider that they would effect MY education. I may have to turn into an enemy and just ask them to shut the fuck up if this continues, I already sit at the front on my own so I can concentrate better, I may as well being an old crazy geek,

Peace out ya'll

No comments:

Post a Comment