Monday 24 November 2014

Talking for the sake of it

Okay, it's become obvious that I hate a lot of people and putting me in a room with 200 every week for lectures obviously evokes a lot of hate in me, but I think it is mostly justified! I say hate, but of course I don't ACTUALLY HATE that's just the closest approximation of the anger and frustration that I feel. 

Ironically the lecture in which I became very annoyed today was, anger and aggression. An alright lecture, the lecturer was a very nice chap and the content was fairly interesting if not a little wishy washy. But it was certainly one of the slightly better lectures we've had and so we didn't have the issues I have had mentioned previously, of people  chatting or fidgeting or just plain getting up and leaving!

Something I am starting to notice though is people, putting their hand up and expressing their 'views' for the absolute fuck of it. PISS OFF. Let me be clear that people with a genuine questions, whether I know the answer or not, I get it, I allow it. People with relevant stories, information or issues - brilliant, interesting and happy to sit and listen. The thing I have an issue with is people, (and it's always the same fuckers every week), who just put their hand up every 5 minutes to sound engaged or intellectual or make a point that they are absolutely equal to the lecturer by disagreeing with them.

It used to be very frowned upon to put your hand up and speak in class, in my day you'd be branded a geek or people would get annoyed at you for pausing the class but these days it seems to be the new thing to express an opinion in class, regardless of whether it's interesting or relevant.

For example, today, when talking about management of aggression, the lecturer said something like 'Obviously in a classroom full of disruptive pupils, thanking the student who is paying attention probably would do much toward diffusing the situation'. He then went on to make a few other points before taking questions. One student raised her hand and said in a really long winded and patronising way something to the effect of 'actually in that situation that you mentioned, wouldn't it make it worse to single out that good student as it may cause the other students to turn on them... I just don't think that would be very healthy'. I use this as an example but there have been LOTS of similar incidents to this. I will retort to these knob'eds below...

Firstly, he used it as an example of when it wouldn't be appropriate so fucking LISTEN before you pipe up. Secondly even if he was suggesting we do it, the lectures presume we are switched on adults capable of assessing situations. Obviously they are not giving us one size fits all solutions to situations they are just suggestions and guidelines designed to help us. So why object everytime the teacher doesn't add a clause to the end of their slide saying 'not always applicable'. Thirdly even if he said 'this is how I would deal with it' SO WHAT? Is it worth stopping a whole class to let us know a specific situation where we shouldn't do that. We are intelligent adults as well, we could of worked it out ourselves you patronising DICK.

The moral of this story is if you dare speak in class, I'll punch ya lights out,

Peace X 

No comments:

Post a Comment