Wednesday 26 November 2014

A day of two halves

On Friday I had a fairly annoying day in practise. I was put in a clinic with a nurse who clearly didn't want me to be there and had no interest in teaching me anything. My mentor asked her to show me how to do all the paper work and allow me to run the clinic while the nurse could do scopes etc. I was really excited at the prospect of doing a little more than 'observing' and reading through my notes.  But when we got into clinic it became apparent that this nurse just did not have the time, or the want in fact, to show me anything and just got on with running the clinic herself, I tried to interject and ask questions or offer my help but she just kept brushing me off, avoiding eye contact and saying things like 'don't worry' or 'just leave it there and I'll do it'.

I came away really frustrated, I think even more so than I would of been had I just been observing as my mentor obviously felt I was ready to be of some use and I could of been if this woman had been even the least bit helpful. For once I even did try to assert myself by asking endless questions and offering to do things but without her help I was rendered useless. 

I went into practise yesterday a bit deflated and kind of expecting more of the same. However,  when I got in I found that I was going to be spending the morning with my mentor in her clinic (something I have not done since my first day there). My mentor is really knowledgeable and is a nurse practitioner so runs her own clinics. A nurse practitioner is definitely something I want to move onto at some point in the future so even just a chance to observe her working really excited me. But, as ever, she was keen to get me involved and teach me so it was even better than I hoped. We managed to tick off a skill in my book and she even gave me some essay tips. She also taught my how to use some of the equipment (very basic) and let me look in the ears of all her patients which was great!

In the afternoon I was put with a lovely nurse who I hav3 spoken to a few times before so I knew the day was going to continue as it has begun. From pretty much the start of clinic, however, she was flitting off here and there and kind of left me on my own in the room with the SHO and a medical student. The SHO joked to me that I was the nurse running clinic now and the nurse I had been paired with is apparently never very present in the clinics she is meant to be doing. I took this as an opportunity to throw myself into it and actually be of use. And I did! I managed to work out a lot from having observed the clinic before and whilst the nurse was no present in the actual clinic she was always around for me to grab and ask how things were done and she was incredibly helpful as were the HCAs who's brains I had to pick. By the end of clinic the nurse offered to come back in after I asked her advice on something, she looked busy so I said 'to be honest, if you think it's alright I will take care of it and you can stay and finish this off', she said if I felt I could then to go for it and she'd be in the office if I needed anything.

I was so busy and on a high that I pushed to the back of my mind the fuzzy head I had started to get a couple of hours into the clinic but when I was finished and ready to go home it suddenly hit me and I felt absolutely shite.

Luckily I had some ibuprofen in my bag and a biscuit that I had bought at lunch but not eaten so I took that before I left off hoping it would kick in on the walk home and I'd be fine for the evening, as I had choir to attend.

The walk home was hideous and I didn't feel any better by the time I got in at about 5:45. I was due to leave again at 6pm for choir but said to my boyfriend I wasn't going to go because I was petrified this headache and fuzziness would turn into a migraine as I was started to feel sick as well. He told me it was unlikely it would turn into one and I was just paranoid (probably true as I had my first migraine a couple of months ago and it was traumatising! lol). Thankfully knowing my own body and limitations I decided to stay in to be safe. The feeling of sickness got intensely worse as I sat shaking on the couch with a bowl in front of me.. I even skipped dinner .. which is a damn big deal for me. I will spare you the gory details from then on but from about 7pm until midnight I was violently ill with food poisoning!

After the first couple of 'incidents' my boyfriend was asking what I thought it could be, as I am very rarely sick. I said I had wondered if it was the kidney beans I had in my lunch as I do remember always hearing you could die from kidney beans but it's one of those things you brush off as bullshit. Steve googled it and my symptoms matched food poisoning from kidney beans down to a T.
I had used dried kidney beans and apparently the risk with these is far higher (even though I did everything the packet said) so I am 100% sure that's what caused it.

So a really positive literally went from amazing to utter crap in the time it took me to walk home. Truly a day of two halves. 

Watch out for them kidney beans people, and stick to tinned! 


No comments:

Post a Comment