Saturday 3 January 2015

Christmas Holidays 2014

Sorry for the lack of posting but if you didn't notice, Christmas happened!

I had told myself I was going to fully embrace having the time off from uni over Christmas and not book any paid work for the 2 weeks we had off. This did not happen. I didn't quite enjoy the holidays in the way that I had planned as I had to work a fair amount, so I am saying now that NEXT year I will try again to at least have less work over the Christmas period.

However! I did get 5 days off from Christmas Day until the 29th of December which is more than I have had in the past few years. So I was very grateful for some time off.

This year we (we being me and my boyfriend Steve) decided to spend Christmas Day and Boxing Day with Steve's mum and family in Liverpool. This was quite a big deal because firstly; it was the first Christmas Day me and Steve would spend together ever (even though we've been together 8 years) and secondly, because it would be the first Christmas I would spend away from my family since my mum passed away. So, as you can imagine, I had mixed feelings in the anticipation of Christmas this year. However, I had had a lovely December seeing friends and family and packed quite a lot in, so I was satisfied with Christmas 2014 before the actual day which made me feel better going in.

I found it tough, as I knew I would, being away from my family and unexpectedly tough having a Christmas Day that did not follow the laws of Christmas that I had been used to for 24 years! I had a small heart attack, in fact, and almost sobbed on the spot when someone announced 'it's snowing!' ( a reaction I never dreamed I would have to snow at Christmas) because it crossed my mind that I may not get down to Essex to see my family. But, fear ya not, the snow did not persist or settle enough to stop us in tracks!

I have often felt like a bit of a black sheep in my family but after spending a few days with another family I felt SO at home in the company of mine. I think I possibly enjoyed it more than I would of, had I just spent the entire time there as it really made me grateful for how at ease I am with all of them, how we are similar in ways I never would of thought and made me realize how much I love and appreciate every last one of them. Don't get me wrong Steve's family are wonderful and make me feel as welcome as humanly possible it was just so different to what I have always known as Christmas. (I may write a full post on this as it fascinated me how different Christmas can be in different house holds).

I DID NOT get ANY essay writing done, which I am a little regretful of now, and will no doubt hate myself for, come mid January!

I actually wrote this cheeky lil Christmas entry to get my fingers flowing a bit so I can do a bit of work on my essays now so.. see you!

Christmas gave me a lot of time to ponder so I will probably write a few blog entries this month, also it's a great way to put off essay writing so TTFN ya'll

No comments:

Post a Comment